Stephen made another plane flight yesterday and we actually made it to our destination! I was worried it might be hard. On our first flight from Salt Lake to Cinncinati, there was an empty seat next to me so they let me take the car carrier on and he actually slept for probably an hour of our 3 hour flight. The rest of the time he was pretty good. We walked the aisle a little, but he was mostly happy to be where he was. We were sitting next to someone who loves babies and she had a good time playing with him.
Once we were on the ground, I found that our next flight was going to leave an hour and 15 minutes later than scheduled. So, I strolled to the food court and had some lunch, then strolled (and rode the bus) to my next gate. When I got to the gate, we found that it was 20 minutes later still. Evidently, something needed to be fixed and the part was coming in on another plane, and we were informed that the part was in the air... phew. Good to know. There was some little very well used play area for children near the gates, so we played over there for a little bit. Stephen was mostly interested in crawling over to people who had books in their hands or tags on their luggage. He also made good friends with the shoe shine guy. He was pretty nice and didn't seem to mind that Stephen was all over the step where the customers sit and he even tried to take his food at one point. He was a good sport and talked to Stephen when he came to play. Well, about 15 minutes from our new scheduled departure, Stephen fell asleep (after a lot of work from me) and he slept for another 45 minutes or so when they finally announced that we could board the plane. His eyes popped right open, and he was up! I was hoping I could quietly get on the plane and coast on to North Carolina. Oh well. The plane was fixed, but was going to be overweight, so could someone volunteer to take another flight? OK, I don't get this. The plane is full, they knew this, I knew when I checked in the night before. What is this overweight thing? What is up with that? It turns out that there was too much fuel on the flight for the destination, therefore it was too heavy. I don't get it. How can it be too heavy? It shouldn't matter where it is going. Shouldn't a plane be able to go anywhere once it is full with passengers, luggage, AND fuel?!?! And, if it did go to the destination that needed more fuel, wouldn't it still be too heavy? I just don't understand. I spoke about this with my seat mate once we were on the plane. He thinks it is all because of the reinforced cockpit doors. He thinks that since most planes were retrofitted with these doors that is has messed up the planes ability to be full. It seems that it could be an option, but I just don't know.
Back to the story. Once I was on the plane, a small one, I noticed that the row behind me was empty, so I thought that once the door was closed that I would move back there to give the guy beside me (that really wanted the aisle, but I said no because I got an aisle seat on purpose and I wasn't giving it up) more room and so that Stephen could have his own seat. He does better that way these days. But, because of the planes obesity, they had to readjust the weight, so two people from the first 4 rows had to move to the row behind me to help the balance. Arg! I was in row 6! I was so close to being able to have my own and then it was taken away. (See why I am bugged by the weight thing?) Anyway, that took too much time to work out and just delayed take off even more. So, Stephen was mellow for the beginning of the flight because he had just awakened before we boared so the first 30 minutes was pretty easy. Then, he was done. He didn't want to be on the plane anymore, didn't want to be held, nothing! He wasn't even calmed by food (this is usually something that works). He would take one of his little snacks, throw his arm to the side, open his hand and let the snack fall to the floor. So, I let him crawl in the aisle. This was a little plane, but I didn't care, I let him go. I didn't let him go too far up and down, but he had a little more freedom. It seemed like mostly business travelers and they were all pretty nice. They would smile and say hello to him and he would grin back. He got one of the pamphlets that tell you what to do in the case of an emergency and played with that. He also ripped up a Sky Mall magazine and I figured it was no big loss. Once we had to sit again, at initial decent, I had to hold him again. Actually, I had to catch him first. He was headed toward the front of the plane as we tipped downward, and he kind of lost control of his crawl. He was still crawling, but going faster and faster! I think he liked it. Anways, he had to be in my lap for the last few minutes and the guys around me were trying to help. It was nice. I had people in 4 different rows pick things up off the floor for me. I felt like the service project. But it wasn't all that bad at all.
Most passengers on this flight had to gate check their carry ons. So the top of the gateway was kind of a crowded mess waiting for the bags to show up. I was waiting for the stroller, and I took the car seat to gate check too, so I wouldn't have to pay to check another 'piece of luggage'. One of the guys waiting for his bag brought me the stroller and car seat, wasn't he nice? He yelled over the crowed, "Do you just have a stroller?" I appreciated it, because I was just planning on waiting for everyone to get their bags and get out of my way. With all that, I was back in time for a late dinner with my dad, sister and future Stepmom. Good ole Southern BBQ! And then a two hour ride home.
Well, North Carolina - you have to deal with me through the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm exited to be here and am glad that my flights had a little drama, but nothing real terrible. It really wasn't all that bad. I just feel like I have somewhat of a story to tell! Now I get to go through mom's things with dad and decide what to do with most of it. Should be an emotional time. Dad already brought out the 2 boxes of cards that he and mom recieved this year. Today I went through the box of cards mom got when she was sick. I had a hard time reading those. I'm sure that the other box, mostly cards dad got after mom passed away, will be harder. And there are more of those! I may have to spread those out. I feel like things are fine and I'm totally ok, then I start thinking about it all, and I cry. Good thing it is more humid here, maybe I won't get too dehydrated! It is all good, though, and I'm so happy that dad is happy and finding a great place for him. It should be a wonderful two weeks!
A Pain in the Shoulder
16 hours ago
3 comments:
Don't you just love flying with kids? Your experience sounded just about right!
Jamie!!!
Soooo... about the overweight thing... you see, when a plane eats too many Twinkies™. ;-) Seriously though, it has to do with fuel. Most airliners don't take off with full fuel tanks. The fuel given to a plane is usually enough to go from point A to point B, plus X number of miles (usually for weather diversions). If, for whatever reason, the plane takes on too much fuel, it means that the plane will land with too much fuel, which could be a bad thing. When they make airplanes, they give the airplane a "landing weight", which means that airplane shouldn't land when it weighs more than that amount.
So, you do a bit of math, and suddenly your plane is too heavy to land if you take on too much fuel. And from an economics standpoint, it's easier to lighten the load of passengers than to have the plane fly circles around the airport trying to burn off fuel.
It's fun to read your blog. :-)
Glad you made it safe. Flying with small children can definantly be an adventure. I am flying to Boise with both of my kids. I am a little worried. The good news is that it is just to Boise and the flight isn't to long. Anything over 2 hours is way to long for a kid to be in an airplane.
Plus you just can't trust the airlines about anything. The new thing about paying for luggage just makes more people carry on luggage, and in the small airplanes I fly to Boise that means that the WHOLE plane has to leave their carry on at the door of the airplane because they can't fit a regular size carry on inside the plane. So when we get to Boise I have to wait forever to get my stroller. One time they broke it by throwing 20 carry on's on top of it. Cant trust them!!! Hope you have a great trip.
Post a Comment