Saturday, December 06, 2008

And.... We're Back!

We are back from our Thanksgiving trip.  We were actually back a few days ago, but I am just getting to this now.  I have already talked about the flight out and Scott mentioned how ALONE he was feeling, so I guess we'll go from there.  As I think I mentioned, dad's house is not baby proofed at all.  So that kept us on our toes.  He did actually have some locks on the cupboards so we did use those in the kitchen.  Stephen didn't like those.  We ended up buying gates for the top and bottom of the stairs.  The sad thing was that they were also Kathy-proof.  She had to yell for someone to help her up and down the stairs.  I knew I needed to go help when I would hear "Jamie! I stuck!"

It was really good to be home.  I went through a few things with dad to decide what to do with mom's things.  We went through all of her really nice clothes.  I put some in Kathy's closet,  I took a few things, and I think Lisa will go through it when she goes home for Christmas.  Then, it will be time to box it all up and donate it.  It really is too bad that I couldn't take more.  Mom had some real nice clothes, mostly the ones she made.  Oh, and I found material.  Loads and loads of material.  There were about 3 piles of it in the closet, some under the bed in the guest room, and a bunch in the sewing room that is slowly becoming more of an office.  (The room is sewing, computer and laundry).  I actually played a little with mom's sewing machine.  I really like using it!  I know I'm not all that great at sewing to merit using as nice of a machine as that is, but I'm sure I could get pretty good practicing!

We did go to the beach while we were there.  It is our family tradition at Christmas to go to the beach and feed the seagulls.  We are attacked every year, but it is something that is pretty fun to do.  We decided to go out there a bit early since we won't be there for Christmas.  We thought it might be pretty fun for Stephen to see all the birds flying around.  We will try to post the video of that later, so all I'll say about it is that he missed it.  He missed it all...

I was able to spend some time with my friends.  That was fun.  We got together before Scott got there and had full intentions to get together after he arrived, but things were too busy for everyone.  Stephen had fun playing with the kids and playing outside.  He doesn't get too much of a chance to do that here.  We don't have a yard yet, and it is entirely too cold for him.  He ate some leaves, they must have been good because he kept shoving them in his mouth.

We spent some time with Beth and it was good to get to know my future step-mother a little better.  Everyone that I talked to at Church is just thrilled for dad and Beth.  He is pretty excited, too.  While I was there, he actually got a date and time set for the Temple.  They will marry on February 14 at 11:00.  I have volunteered to go stay with Kathy so they could go do something fun.  He called me yesterday and said that they are going to St. Martin.  He sounded really excited.  So, I now have my tickets to go out there for the wedding and stay for another week.  

Here are some pictures:


Our little gambler who is about to make another mess in the family room
This kitchen cabinet did not have a lock on it.  It was one of his favorites.  This was Thanksgiving day.  He was helping.

Here is Stephen in the car.  I decided to put him in this to see what he would do.  He could only go backwards and he only ran over himself a couple of times.  But he laughed and laughed!

We were actually able to go through this cabinet and really clean it out.  It had about 500 Southern Living magazines in it.  They became part of Stephen's play things.  He would rip them up, and then the next day there would be fresh ones waiting for him.  It all worked out.

3 comments:

Braden Bell said...

How fun! It sounds like a great trip and I'm so glad you got to do it. We've missed you on the blog!

Bethany said...

It does sound like you a had a good trip! Stephen is so cute!

The Miller's said...

Sounds like you had a good time. I know your husband missed you. You little guy is to cute.