Friday, January 23, 2009

Thumbs Down

Ok, this is somewhat out of character for me, I know it.  I don't usually go on rants, you can count this as your lucky day since I actually have something to say.  I do not like crazy environmentalists...  Now, don't get me wrong.  Littering is wrong.  I believe we should always leave a place in better shape than we found it.  Recycling is fine.  Reusing is fine.  But it is those that go way beyond this that drive me nuts.  

I don't get out of my house much.  It is ok with me for now.  It is cold outside and Stephen can't really go play in the snow or anything.  But I do run errands and such.  Today we went to Park City and got haircuts and since we were out, I thought, let's go to Wal-mart for an adventure.  (I have already mentioned that I don't leave my house that often, so an adventure can be anything for us).  We were getting ready to leave so I went out to the car.  Stephen needed a diaper change and since I had been to 2 public bathrooms, none of which had a changing table or anything that could be used for one, he was changed in the car.  Now, it is a warm day today, comparatively, but for an 11 month old to have his bare wet bum out in the open air is chilly!  Ok - that all being said, I was in the car, I started it up and got some warmer air blowing on Stephen so he wouldn't stay cold and then I decided to check something on my phone before my 30 minute drive home.  When I was just about finished with what I was doing (less than 2 minutes after I started the car), I noticed some guy looking distressed trying to get my attention out of the passenger side window.  I thought, 'Oh!  He needs help', and since he was on the passenger side, I figured he wasn't trying to hurt me, 'I'll open the window to see what he needs.'  As I did so he started to say, "If you don't need it turn it off!  There was an article recently about the air quality..."  I was immediately angry.  For an instant I was shouting - "Do you know how often I even drive a car!  I haven't been here two minutes!  Do you want my baby to freeze?!?"  But, shouting doesn't become me, and I get all red.  The reason there are ...'s at the end of his statement is that is all I heard and I gave him an 'excuse me?' look (that I hope was ugly), and rolled up the window.  That may seem anti-climatic because all I did was roll up the window, but it made me feel good.  "Go ahead - tell me what you think on the other side of the glass so I can't hear you".

Really, though.  The best part of the story is something I haven't mentioned yet.  I normally drive a Mitsubishi Outlander.  I like my car, it is fun to drive.  Today was different, however.  Today I was driving a car that we are currently borrowing from my in-laws.  It is a Ford Excursion.  Yes, I was idling a diesel and being yelled at.  And it made me mad.  But it felt good to shut that guy up.  He is probably blogging to his friends about the inconsiderate lady, but I don't care.

So, maybe this wasn't really a rant, rather a story I told where I was mad as someone, but as I have mentioned, it is  a little out of character for me to rant.  So, go ahead, reduce, reuse, and recycle, but don't force more than that on me.  I do my part so leave me alone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure what I would have said either, I probably would have rolled up the window and revved the engine. LOL

L&L

Ashley said...

Jamie you are awesome. I get tired of people who feel the need to force their opinons on me, especially when they were not asked for! You go girl.